Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sept. 18, 2013


So it is now 7:30 at night and we only have 30 minutes to email. I'm sorry that it is so late! But boy oh boy it has been a busy 2 days! I love my new companion! I was going to get a card reader today so I could put some pictures on the email for you guys but we haven't been able to go to the store yet. We went to a pawn shop to get Elder Flake a bike but we couldn't find one he wanted. So we will go around to some other places tomorrow.

Like I said, this week has been crazy busy!! With the new Elders in the ward, we have been spending a lot of time with them getting the area split and their area book organized. We have our ward list put up on our wall. There are 600 people on the list (included are husband, wife, and kids over 16 living with them) and we've seen over 200 people! So getting them that info is going to be tricky so they know who we've seen and who they should not go see. But I'm sure everything will work out! I was really nervous with taking over the area and training! I got really luck with my companion. He is awesome!  He is already such an amazing missionary!

I read a scripture today in Alma 23:6. It says at the end, "... as many of the Lamanites as believes in their preaching and were converted unto the Lord, never did fall away." It lates goes on to say that the Lamanites were coming to battle against them and instead of fighting, they kept their covenant with the Lord and didn't take up arms against them. Instead, they "prostrated themselves before them to the earth, and began to call on the name of the Lord;" 1,005 of them were killed. But it converted more Lamanites than the number that was killed. What amazing faith they had! But how did they do it? How did they gain so much faith to die for what they believed in and NEVER fall away? I think the answer lies in 2nd Nephi 25:26, "And we talk of Chirst, we rejoice in Chirst, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." Their lives were focussed on Chirst every day, all the time. They did what it says in 2nd Nephi 32:27, they prayed always and didn't do anything without calling upon the name of our Father. Their lives were centered on Chirst in every way. And that kind of devotion leads to true conversion. They kept all their covenants and promises they made to the Lord and that helped them come closer to the Lord and receive more blessings. We do what is called a 40 fast. What this is is we give up something for 40 days to try to come closer to the Lord. For example, I gave up soda for 40 days. I gave up calling girls hot or smokin or gorgeous. They were small things that may not seem very important or like they would draw me away from the Lord. But by dedicating the fast to coming closer to the Lord and starting with a prayer, I saw more miracles in my life and am becoming the missionary I want to be. I challenge you to look for something in your lives that you can give up for 40 days. Even if its something small like 40 days without soda. Or 40 days without facebook (if that is even possible!).

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Thank you for the emails and for the packages! Feel free to keep them coming!

Love,
~Elder Harris

-       Remember Heb 11:1 - Let your faith carry you!

No comments:

Post a Comment