Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2, 2014

Hello Everyone! Man this week went by fast! Well kinda fast. The days went by slow but the looking back it all went by pretty fast. I can't believe it.... 10 days and I hit a year. Does it seem like I've been gone that long? It doesn't to me! Maybe that is a good thing though and I will be able to stay focused on the work instead of how much time I have left. Elder Justin Don Wardell is AWESOME! I really like him. He isn't very trunky and still likes to go out and get work done but there is that other little side to him that likes to sleep in through studies and some of lunch before he gets up. I don't let it get to me though. I'm not saying that he is a bad missionary or anything close to that. If anything, I want to be more like him! He is super funny and loves to talk to people. It's great!

My actual address is
6833 North Bryce Eden Rd Pima, AZ 85543

but for mail, it has to go to
P.O. Box 82
Pima, AZ 85543

I don't really need anything. My shoes are holding up great! As are my socks and shirts and garments. I have a plethora of ties and I love switching between them! My favorites are still the ones from y'all! I really need my S.D. card cause I am out of pictures with this one. But I keep needing to take pictures so I got through and look for doubles of pictures or ones that are really fuzzy and delete them so I have room. But I don't really have any more I can delete so the sooner it can get here, the better. :) I have included some pictures of what has happened thus far. The first one is of Elder Wardell and I. He doesn't smile for pictures so this the best I could get him to do.

So Elder Wardell and I live in a trailer behind another trailer. There are no street lights and we live right next to 4 goats and a few sheep. That means that the stars are beautiful! But that also means that we get a lot of unwanted guests in our home. The next picture is of a Wolf Spider I found while brushing my teeth on Wednesday. If it laid down flat and spread it's legs out, it would be bigger than my palm. It is HUGE! So we caught him and put him in a big pickle jar with dirt and rocks. We catch flies or moths or crickets and feed him every day. He is a great pet! Of course now I'm on my toes every time I go into a room just ready to see a spider. I shake out my shoes before I put them on and take off everything on my bed and then make it again before I go to sleep so that there aren't any other things in there besides me. We have been looking for some scorpions to put in another pickle jar but haven't had any luck yet. Maybe we will this week!

We cover 3 wards. The Pima 1st Ward, The Pima 4th Ward, and The Fort Thomas Ward. If you blink driving through Ft. Thomas, you'll miss it. It is the smallest town in the Gila Valley. But the members are great! Everyone is related to each other and they all know each other, whether they are members or not. So we don't have to worry about getting lost cause we can call anyone in the ward and get directions to anywhere we need to go. I have a picture is of me feeding a calf that belongs to our Ward Mission Leader in the Ft. Thomas ward. He also let us drive his tractor around! It was an old one so it was really shaky. Instead of using gas, it ran off of propane. It was a great experience though! 



In the Pima 4th Ward, I stood up and introduced myself to all of the priesthood and said I was Elder Harris from Lehi, Utah. After we broke off into our classes, a guy came up to me and asked if I was related to a Jerry Harris. I said yes and that he was my grandfather. He then responded with, "My name is Richard Christianson and I am your grandfathers cousin!" I found someone I'm related to out here too! Looks like Elder Wardell is just out of the loop. ;) So that was a cool little miracle! Also in the 4th ward, I walked in and saw a guy with long flowing hair and was a little taken back. When I saw his face, I was shocked.... It was Orlando Bloom!!! He was sitting right here in front of me! He knew the songs and took the Sacrament and was in all the classes, even Priesthood! Okay, so it wasn't really Orlando Bloom but he looked EXACTLY like him! I've attached a picture so you can see too. He didn't sound anything like him though but he could definitely win a look alike contest!


We are only teaching like 5 people out here. We tried to go see all of them this week. One couple was throwing up when we showed up, one wasn't home, another dropped us right as we got to his front porch, and the other is a boy who's mom is very anti-Mormon. Everything is done through the members out here. We can't go tracting or street contacting because everyone is either Mormon or doesn't want to be Mormon. So it is a lot different but a good change. And even though I am only like 10 minutes away from the Temple, I can't just go whenever I want to because it would be unfair for the rest of the mission. So we can still only go once every 3 months. But it's okay! I am happy that we get to go. :)

Well, I think that is about it for this email. I am definitely going to celebrate on the 12th and I hope that you all do too! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! Have fun this week and get a lot done. Remember, just because it's summer doesn't mean that you aren't still missionaries. :D

~Elder Kyle Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment