Tuesday, February 24, 2015

February 23, 2015

Hello everyone!! I can't believe that it's p-day already! Time sure does go fast when you lose yourself in the work! I guess that's a good thing except I'm realizing now that I have 107 days left that I only have 107 days left... :P Do you know of any way to slow time down? I haven't seen the movie "Click" but I know it's about a guy who has a remote that can control time. That would be great on a mission. You could slow things down when you feel like life's speeding past you, or you could speed things up on those days when we have that empty hour with nothing to do. Or, best of all, you could freeze time for a little while and just sleep for like 5 more hours in the middle of the day! Okay, maybe not 5 hours but you get my point!

This week I had the opportunity to go down to Nogales!! It was AWESOME!!! We went down on Wednesday so we could attend the district meeting down there. They had a little Spanish teaching moment at the beginning of the class where someone would stand up and teach about a principle for the Spanish Language to help everyone else that didn't know the rule or understand how to change the word for the right setting (called "conjugation") know how to do so. It was a great way for me to go over the basics again like I did in Jr High Spanish class! I realized though that that was 7 and 8 years ago... Crazy how fast that went by! I remember being in 8th grade and thinking that school was never going to end. I look back now and realize that I kinda miss some parts of high school, mainly the social aspect of it all but still. Anyway, so we went down for district meeting and we heard the training by an Elder Oviedo. I think he's from Peru but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that his training on using pictures and illustrations was great! He gives much better training's that I ever did! Afterwards, we went out for lunch. We went to a "Mexican-Sushi" hole-in-the-wall joint down there. It was really cheap but pretty good! I got 4 small tacos: A fish, a shrimp, cow tongue, and cow cheek. Yup, the tongue and cheek of a cow!! 
 Beef Cheek and Tongue Tacos! Mmm-Mmm-Mmm! ;)

The cheek taco was alright but I wasn't a huge fan of it. Getting past the idea that I was eating the cheek of a cow was probably the hardest part... The cow tongue though just tasted like shredded beef. It kinda looked that way too!... except for you could still see the taste buds on parts of the meat... That was kinda gross looking and gross to think about... But still tasted pretty good! It reminded me of the time that I ate Menudo soup! I will attach a recipe for Menudo soup so you can see the ingredients. :) 


You may need to look up what "tripe" is though. Good luck.... :P 

After lunch, we split up with some other missionaries. I went with Elder's Dowdy and Crofts and Elder Gudmundson went with Elder's Oviedo and Howard. We tried contacting some of their investigators but no one was home. We tried visiting 6 or 7 people and in 30 minutes, we were out of ideas on what to do! So we found a good neighborhood and started knocking. They (Dowdy and Crofts) were doing great!... Me?... Not so much... I don't know Spanish yet! I could pick out a few words here and there so I knew slightly what they were talking about but not really... We did have a few English contacts though! This one lady said that she wouldn't have time later but she had time now that we could share a short message with her. So we started talking and she interrupted us and said "Wait, you guys are Mormons? I don't want to listen to people who don't believe in Jesus!" As she was walking away, we quickly explained that she was mistaken and we most definitely do believe in Christ! She said she'd be right back and brought out "The Tower" which is a thing from the Jehovah's Witness church. We told her that wasn't our church and she said we could continue teaching. When we brought up the Book of Mormon she said that she would never read it or pray about it. We asked why not and she said that she had the Bible and nothing would replace it. "Nothing will replace the Bible! And we don't intend for anyone to think otherwise! We can tell you all day and night that the Book of Mormon is true but unless you ask God in prayer, you will never really know." She said that she didn't need to read and pray about it cause she already knew it wasn't true. I asked her if she knew the Bible was true and she replied affirmatively. I asked how she came to know it and she said by reading and praying about it. I asked if someone could know if the Bible was true without reading it or praying about it and she looked at me with this look of "No you dumb child!" which was basically her answer, "Of course not! Why would anybody believe a book was true or not without reading it!" And that's when we replied with "Exactly! And just like the Bible, you can't know whether the Book of Mormon is true or not unless you read and pray about it." She just tensed up and kinda glared at us. I asked her what it would mean to her to receive an answer from you that the Book was true and she said "I'm just not interested. I am sick of hearing you all blaspheme about God and Jesus. I'm drawing the line here and I'm just not interested!" Then she turned around and walked inside closing the door behind her. It made the scripture in the Book of Mormon come to my mind where it says something to the point of "The wicked take the truth to be hard." It was great! Haha! We contacted a few more people but they weren't interested either so we headed out and about that time, Elder Gudmundson and myself headed back home. I loved being that close to the border though! That was the closest I've ever been to being out of the country! :) I didn't get to touch the fence but I was about 100 feet from it. I was promised though that the next time we head down there that I can not only touch the fence but stick my arm through it so that I can "be" in Mexico! :D
 This way to Mexico Please
I spy MEXICO!!!

We went to dinner this week and saw a video called "Jan says yes to Elder Argueta". It was awesome! Have you guys had a chance to see it? I don't want to give it away if you haven't seen it but you need to watch it when you get a chance! :)

Well that pretty much sums up my week. Sorry this was a little bit shorter but i hope you still liked it! I really miss you all and can't wait to see you soon!

#15MoreP-DaysLeft=15MoreEmailsLeft!!

I love you!

~Elder Kyle Harris
Elder Gudmundson and I  



No comments:

Post a Comment