Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Aug. 12, 2013


HELLO FAMILY!!! It's so great to hear from you all!  First, I think some congrats are in order!
Syd and David, I am so excited for you guys!! You are going to be amazing parents! Have you thought about names yet? I think I told you last week that I guessed in my journal that you were going to have a girl. That is just so exciting to hear! Mom, you can't spend more money on her than you will if I have a boy first! ;)
Here's some random pictures-





Just to answer some questions I've been asked.
I am getting pictures on here from you dad but I can't print them or do anything with them afterwards. I love being able to show pictures off to my companion and the other missionaries though so feel free to send me LOTS!!! (that includes you too Syd and David)... :) The same goes with music. I have got one song to come through but I can't listen to it or download it so c.d.'s would be best..
My pants all still fit. I think that most of the weight I've gained is muscle in my legs and arms. I need to work on my pecks so I can come home and beat Dave up! I doubt it will ever happen but it would be a great triumph someday. I do need to lose some weight on my abs though cause their not as hard as they are squishy. OH OH OH!!!

We had 3 investigators at church yesterday. They were Frank, Roger and a new investigator named Jonah.

Frank is 17 and was supposed to be baptized on Saturday. But we found out yesterday that his ex-girlfriend is a month pregnant and it's his kid... So we called our mission president and he said that we need to push it back a week or two to make sure that he's truly repented of this. So after church, we talked to him and told him we would push it back 2 weeks. Towards the end of our lesson, we both had the impression to only push it back a week. He said the closing prayer and I could tell that he was sorry for the mistake that he made and that he was going to take responsibility for the kid and be it's father. I am glad that he is stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility. We will be having his baptism next Saturday and he still wants me to baptize him! I will make sure that I get lots of pictures with him!

Jonah is in his mid to late 30's, maybe early 40's. He is about 5'9 and probably 250 lbs of pure muscle. He was in the Army but was honorable discharged because of P.T.S.D. His P.T.S.D. wasn't because of field combat though; it was because of an abusive childhood from his mother. He has a pretty sad story but he's a great guy! Before he was deported for war, he was taking the lessons from the missionaries. He was almost baptized too but didn't feel quite ready. We now have taught him 4 times and he came to a baptism on Saturday and he likes what he sees. He says that baptism is like marriage and he needs to know it's true before he can get baptized. I agree to a degree but it took him 7 years before he proposed to his wife. Hopefully he won't take 7 years to get baptized but if it does, at least it's because he knows it's true and not just because we want him to.

We still haven't had any big monsoons yet. One decent one and a few dinky sprinkles but nothing big like what I was hoping for. It is a blessing though cause we would have had to bike in it if one hit so I guess it's a good thing! The sunsets are beautiful!




I have been reading the Book of Mormon every day. It has changed my life! I only have 22 pages before I finish it and then I will pick it up again and re-read it a hundred times over! It truly testifies of Christ on every page and is helping me have a stronger relationship with my Heavenly Father and my Redeemer.

I don't have a lot to talk about today. This week flew by! 

Mormon 9:8 - "Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yea, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them." My advice to you, like every week, is to read the scriptures. You will come closer to God by reading them abiding by it's precepts than through any other book. I love you all so much! Keep the faith!!

Love your favorite son/brother/friend/soon-to-be-uncle,
~Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment